Friday, December 27, 2013

Sin vs. Trespass

In my former life, I had an intimate lady friend who sent me a card that on the front said, " Before I met you I never knew sin... " and when I opened it, it said, "could be such fun." Well that was a good laugh then, when I didn't believe in God. 

Later I came to a point in my life that I cried out for mercy, to ask for my salvation and my eternal soul life. I said, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." I began to think, what is sin?

sin1
n
1. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) Theol
a.  transgression of God's known will or any principle or law regarded as embodying this
b.  the condition of estrangement from God arising from such transgression See also actual sin, mortal sin, original sin, venial sin
2. any serious offence, as against a religious or moral principle
3. any offence against a principle or standard
live in sin Informal (of an unmarried couple) to live together
vb (intr) sins, sinning, sinned
1. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) Theol to commit a sin
2. (usually foll by against) to commit an offence (against a person, principle, etc.)
[Old English synn; related to Old Norse synth, Old High German suntea sin, Latin sons guilty]
sinner  n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Finally, in prayer I was given  the  answer by the Holy Spirit;

Sin is disobedience to God and His Ten Commandments.
Sin: is done upon God

And God has said that in order to be forgiven our sins against Him after He sent His Son, we must ask forgiveness in the Name of His Son, Jesus Christ, who shed His blood to pay a debt we could not.

That is how we are to obtain forgiveness of our sins. If sin is disobedience to God and we can only ask and receive forgiveness in the name of Jesus Christ, then what is it when I do something against another person? I now believe that it is a:

Trespass: is done upon another.

trespass [ˈtrɛspəs]
vb (intr)
1. (often foll by on or upon) to go or intrude (on the property, privacy, or preserves of another) with no right or permission
2. (Law) Law to commit trespass, esp to enter wrongfully upon land belonging to another
3. Archaic (often foll by against) to sin or transgress
n
1. (Law) Law
a.  any unlawful act committed with force or violence, actual or implied, which causes injury to another person, his property, or his rights
b.  a wrongful entry upon another's land
c.  an action to recover damages for such injury or wrongful entry
2. an intrusion on another's privacy or preserves
3. a sin or offence
[from Old French trespas a passage, from trespasser to pass through, from tres- trans- + passer, ultimately from Latin passus a pace1]
trespasser  n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Temptation:
temptation [tɛmpˈteɪʃən]
n
1. the act of tempting or the state of being tempted
2. a person or thing that tempts
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003


No comments:

Post a Comment